Classes and Services for
Pregnant Women and New Parents in Graz
If you find yourself pregnant or with young children while living in Graz, you're lucky. There are so many opportunities to take advantage of in the city, many of which are free. Here is a sampling of links to check out.
- Stadt Graz - Elternberatungsstellen The city of Graz offers free consulting services for parents, including lactation consultants (Stillberatung), baby massage, medical examinations for babies, and more. Download the flyer and find out what is offered at the service point nearest you.
- Two And More (ZweiundMehr) Offers information for families in Styria. Apply for the Styrian Family Passport (Familienpass) to obtain discounts for public transportation with children, plus much more.
- EKIZ – Eltern-Kind-Zentrum – Offers classes, lactation consultants, babywearing, gymnastics, yoga, etc.
- Kinderdrehscheibe – Information on childcare options in Styria
- Kinderfreunde -- Offers classes, playgroups and short-term childcare next to Martin Auer café at Tummelplatz (also a nice place to take young children!)
Exercise Classes for Pregnant Women
- Prenatal yoga (Schwangeren Yoga) at Amar Das, CityYoga, Hebammenzentrum and more
- Prenatal swimming (Schwimmen für Schwangere)
- Prenatal massage at the Body Balance or Harmoni Heilmassage
- Acupuncture (Akupunktur) at several locations
Childbirth Preparation Classes in Graz
Childbirth preparation classes (Geburtsvorbereitungskurse) are intended for pregnant women and their partners, general towards the end of pregnancy. Here you will learn about the biology of giving birth, relaxation techniques for labor, general practices at the hospital or clinic, breastfeeding, post-natal care, and the first few weeks with a baby. There are several offered at various lengths and costs:
- LKH Graz offers an 8-week childbirth prep class for 140 EUR, as well as a free informational evening
- Sanatorium St. Leonhard offers several classes run by different midwives
- Privatklink Graz-Ragnitz offers childbirth prep classes
- Hebammenzentrum offers a 6-week childbirth prep class for 120 EUR and English classes upon request
- Stadt Graz has free classes and lists others here
EXERCISE CLASSES FOR NEW MOTHERS/POSTNATAL CLASSES in graz
- Postnatal exercises (Rückbildungsgymnastik) at several locations
- Mama-Baby Swimming (Babyschwimmen) at several locations
- Mama-Baby Yoga at CityYoga, Sanatorium St. Leonhard, YogaLife and more
- Musivana (early music appreciation)
Playgroups in Graz
- International Women's Association of Graz - Mums & Tots English-speaking Playgroup (En/De)
- Grätzeltreff - International Playgroup for children ages 0-5 with parent every Tuesday from 3:30-5:30 pm (En/De)
- Kinderfreunde at Martin Auer/Tummelplatz has various playgroups, including a free "Elterntreff" every 2nd Wednesday from 9:30-11:30. The other groups are a few Euros per hour.
- AmiKi - Arbeiten mit Kind - is a new coworking space where parents take turns looking after the children while the others work. There is a free playgroup every Tuesday from 9:30-11:30 for parents who want to check it out.
Free nutrition workshops from GKK