Getting Married in Graz

Here is a checklist to help you prepare all that paperwork for the big day:

Documents Needed:

  • passport
  • birth certificate complete with apostille
  • certificate of residence AKA 'Meldezettel'
  • certificate of no impediment to marriage AKA 'Ehefähigkeitszeugnis'
  • certified copy of any university degrees

Apostilles are provided by the US Secretary of State and the Deputy Secretary of State for the individual US States. For example, to acquire an apostille for your birth certificate, contact the Secretary of State of that particular state.

All apostilles and notarizations will need to be collected before submitting your stack of paperwork to a certified translator AKA a 'beglaubigte(r) Übersetzer.'

The 'Ehefähigkeitszeugnis' can be obtained at the US Embassy in Vienna. This document states that the applicant is free to marry the other party according to the laws of his or her home state in the US. You will need to take your US passport as well as pay a fee of $50 or the equivilant in Euros. Check the embassy website to make an appointment.

Place of Marriage:

Since Austria only legally recognizes civil marriage ceremonies, you are free to follow a seperate religious ceremony of your choice. Civil ceremonies are performed by the 'Standesamt' or Vital Statistics Office. There are two 'Standesamt' locations in the city of Graz: Joanneumring 6 and at the Town Hall 'Rathaus' located on 'Hauptplatz.' Contact the Standesamt of your choice to set up an appointment for your official application 'Aufgebot' for the civil ceremony.

What to expect at the Standesamt: 

At your first appointment you will need to...

  • supply your personal information
  • comfirm if and what your names will be changed to as well as adding any university degree to your name
  • decide on the date and location of your civil ceremony
  • discuss the ceremony's procueedures
  • pay fees
  • supply birth certificates and proof of registration 'Meldenachweis' for any children

During this appointement your 'Aufgebot' will be prepared. Please note that this document is valid for up to 6 months. Therefore you can arrange to have your civil ceremony for no more than 6 months in advance. In some larger cities you should allow around 2-6 weeks between setting up the appointment and the actual ceremony. If one of you does not speak German, you may bring a sworn interpreter with you (see


As of 2014 there is a 50 Euro fee for the proceedure to determine marriagability as well as an 80 Euro fee for submitting foreign documents.

Finally, all that is taken care of and the wedding bells can ring! However, after the marriage, there are further official steps to be taken, concerning insurance, the Landesregierung and the Bezirkshauptmannschaft.

For more information or to make sense of all of these necessary procedures, make an appointment to meet with us.